The Museum has a display of around 20 historic vehicles, transport artefacts, displays, photographs, a tea bar and a shop.
The Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum was established in 1997 when a group of enthusiasts, most of whom owned or part-owned a vintage bus or coach, needed collectively to provide for secure undercover accommodation for their vehicles. The Museum’s collection of vehicles and associated artefacts grew into an impressive display of the Island’s transport heritage.
Located in the former Southern Vectis depot, located on Park Road in Ryde. The building itself is of particular interest, being one of only two former bus garages now surviving on the Island. Built in 1937-8 on Southern Railway land, it is typical of a bus garage of the Tilling era to the design of their architect H.J. Starkey. Many such buildings were constructed but few now survive, following ownership changes in the bus industry.
There is a TV bus and new archive exhibition as well as a tea bar and excellent shop.